What I’m Reading Now

LibraryI can’t not read. Yes, I know that’s a double negative, but I like the connotation of it more than “I have to read.”  I have been forced by circumstances at various times in my life to not read, but after a while reading always finds a way back in to my routine.

I’m typically a read-before-bed kind of guy. It’s a good way to wind down so that when I do turn off the lights I can fall asleep quickly. That only works when I am getting to bed at a decent hour.

I also read to my kids. Two of them are old enough that they are perfectly capable of reading books on their own. But my Dad read to us each night until I was thirteen and I loved every minute of it. I try to find books that they like and love to hear them beg for another chapter.

I also “read” books on my commute to work each day. I have a subscription to Audible.com and can download two books a month with my plan. This is how I generally read epic fantasy. It takes a while to go through a 45 hour audio books if you stay disciplined and only use the commute time.

Here is what I am currently reading:

Avogadro Corp: The Singularity Is Closer Than It Appears (Singularity Series) by William Hertling

This book was written by a guy in an online writer’s group I am a part of and has been a great read. It’s a techno-thriller about how Artificial Intelligence could emerge in the near future.  If you like the techno-thriller genre, I would definitely recommend this book.

The Ruins of Gorlan: Book One (RANGER’S APPRENTICE) by John Flanagan

I’ve been aware of this series for many years and had it recommended to me on multiple occasions, but something about the book cover just never clicked with me. It looked to generic fantasy to me. Rangers gave me D&D flashback and I envisioned a bad retelling of a D&D adventure.

But several weeks ago, a friend whose reading taste I respect said that this was the first middle grade series since Harry Potter that made her really care about the cast of characters. With that recommendation, I decided to give it a try. I’ve been reading this to my girls (11 and 9) and they have been enjoying it as much as I have. The 9-year-old had a hard time getting into it, but after a few chapters was hooked.

It isn’t a generic D&D adventure rip off. I like the world building and the characters. I am hoping that some of the side characters will get pulled in and have more fact time as we continue through the book, but so far it’s been really good. Plus it looks like there are already ten or so books in the series.

My one concern with the book is the POV. I’m a big fan of tight viewpoints – either third person limited, or first person. This one is certainly third person, but the viewpoint jumps from person to person in the same scene. I recognize it as a stylistic choice as opposed to lack of craft, but it still isn’t my favorite technique.

As for my commute, I have just recently finished the last book of the Wheel of Time series  – A Memory of Light. By Brandon Sanderson and Robert Jordan. I hadn’t read any of the Wheel of Time books until Brandon was tapped to finish the series after Robert Jordan had died. I had met Brandon and had read his other books, so I was excited to see what he would do with the series. So I then started my year-long journey to listen to all the Wheel of Time books. At 40-60 hours each, it takes me about a month to get through one. With 14 books that adds up to a lot of commute hours. Brandon’s work on the series was amazing and if you like Epic Fantasy, the series is a definite recommend. Now that he’s done with that, I am hoping he will get back to work on the next Way of Kings book.

So, that’s what I’m reading right now. What about you? I would love to hear what your favorite books are. And, no, you don’t have to list mine as a courtesy to me. I’ll assume if you are here that you liked my books. 🙂

This entry was posted in Books, Random Musings. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What I’m Reading Now

1. floryie says:

After a long time I have enjoyed a series by a male author coz they tend to be like WoT very action packed. I just devoured your two books in one sitting. It has the just mix of elements to be a attention grabbing read. Thank you for the books ( if you had not published and all..) Looking forward to the others. Hope they come out soon 😀

• Brant says:

Floryie – I’m glad you gave a male author a chance. 🙂 I tried to write them with elements that both genders would like so I’m glad to hear that I hit the mark with you. I am working on the next in the series and I can’t tell you homw much I wish it were ready. Unfortunately, writing books is kind of a slow process when you don’t do it full time. But I will keep working, I promise.

• Floryie says:

Ouchie that came out sorta wrong . What I meant was that usually you guys don’t write from a girl’s POV and most definitely not a female protagonist. Yeah time taken sucks :(. But we ( readers ) will wait patiently :D. Most probably be checking the site every few days lol

Have a great day

2. Kelly says:

You mentioned my two absolute favorite series. The Ranger’s Apprentice series gets much better the further you get along so any rough patches are worth pulling through. The Wheel of Time series I have just started and am now on book four. I love the world the authors created and the writing style always seems to flow. For both of these long series I’d find myself caught up for hours even when I couldn’t spare the time. Ranger’s Apprentice has eleven books. The only sad part is that they end. Can’t wait for your next book in the series-which happens to be numero tres by the way.

• Brant says:

I’m excited to hear the The Ranger’s Apprentice series gets better. I’ve been enjoying it, so knowing it gets even better is even more motivation to keep going with the series. The Wheel of Time will keep you busy for quite a while. If you like the last three books that are done by Brandon Sanderson, then you should try his Way of Kings series. Only the first one is out, but I really liked it and can’t wait for the next one. (End of this year, maybe?) As for book three in my series, I can tell you that I am actively working on it and that it will be worth the wait. 🙂

• Kelly says:

I will definitely try his new series. Thanks for the suggestion! And I hope the Wheel of Time series can help fill up the duller moments of traveling in the summer, maybe your third book, too? Hope so and I can’t wait! 🙂

• Brant says:

Kelly – Just as an FYI, I know some people got bogged down in the middle of the Wheel of Time series and didn’t feel like it was progressing fast enough. I think part of that frustration was not knowing when the series was going to end, or if there would be a satisfactory ending (especially since he was sick and dying). But I listened to them on audiobook and enjoyed them all.

• Kelly says:

I’ve heard that as well but disregarded it and plan to read the whole thing, but thanks for the notice. Oh, and the Way of Kings series looks pretty good, so I plan to read that as well. Good recommendation! Any tips for writing? You’re one of my favorite authors and I’ve started writing and have been asking all around for advice as this is my first time. Anything is helpful and thanks!! 🙂

• Brant says:

Kelly – That’s great that you’ve started writing! As for writing advice… hmmm. I think I do have some, but it would be more than what I could write in the comments section. I’ll write post about writing sometime in the next few weeks. Thanks for the idea. 🙂

• Kelly says:

Great, can’t wait to read it!

3. Shalyn M says:

I LOVE the Ranger’s Apprentice series and I think its awesome that you are reading them! =) I can’t wait until your next book comes out, I love the Havoc Chronicles so much!

• Brant says:

Shalyn – I’ve really been enjoying the RA series too. I wish I had started them much sooner. I’m glad to hear you also love my books! I’m excited for the third book to come out. I think you will realy like it.