Let me start off this post by posing my own question (that you are not actually expected to answer): How many of you have ever moved before? And by “moving” I mean you – you personally, not a moving company – packing up all your possessions, loading them onto some sort of vehicle, transporting them to the new location, removing them from said vehicle, and then unpacking them inside the new living space.
Here has been my typical experience. I get the furniture and 95% of the things packed and think the rest will be easy. Wrong. The last 5% ends up being the hardest part – fragile items, loose junk, closets or cabinets I somehow forgot to pack, etc. All of that adds up and takes WAY more time and effort than I expect.
This is what the editing process ends up being for me. I write a pretty clean first draft and do some initial editing as I go, but in the end, final tweaks and bringing in reader/editor feedback take much longer than I expect. A little tweak in the beginning causes ripples that have to be chased down through the rest of the 100,000 word document. I end up reading through the entire book up to 10+ times. So, it is slow. There is probably a better way to do it, but if there is, I don’t know what it is.
On top of that, add in the fact that I have a full time job, a family, and other responsibilities and the process goes even slower.
And on top of that we have had the holidays and all the work that comes with preparing for Christmas for four children, visiting family, and general merriment. And on top of THAT add in recent sickness and sleep deprivation. (Do you feel bad for me yet?)
See, this is why I have been very reluctant to give you an official release date. Because I know it always takes me more time than I envision, and I have a lot going on in my life. And as much as I love my readers, I love my family more and they come first.
So, now that you’ve all heard me whine about how hard it is, you still want to know what the release date is, right? As much as I wish I could, I am not quite ready to give it to you. As soon as I have the cover complete, it will be the last item that is out of my control, and then I will give you a date. I hope to have that sometime in the next two weeks.
In the meantime, I am hard at work on finishing up the editing for Bonds That Break. This book is much longer than the other two, and I believe you will think it has been worth the wait. Madison kicks some serious butt!