What exactly IS going on with book 3?

Let me start off this post by posing my own question (that you are not actually expected to answer): How many of you have ever moved before? And by “moving” I mean you – you personally, not a moving company – packing up all your possessions, loading them onto some sort of vehicle, transporting them to the new location, removing them from said vehicle, and then unpacking them inside the new living space.

Here has been my typical experience. I get the furniture and 95% of the things packed and think the rest will be easy. Wrong. The last 5% ends up being the hardest part – fragile items, loose junk, closets or cabinets I somehow forgot to pack, etc. All of that adds up and takes WAY more time and effort than I expect.

This is what the editing process ends up being for me. I write a pretty clean first draft and do some initial editing as I go, but in the end, final tweaks and bringing in reader/editor feedback take much longer than I expect. A little tweak in the beginning causes ripples that have to be chased down through the rest of the 100,000 word document.  I end up reading through the entire book up to 10+ times. So, it is slow. There is probably a better way to do it, but if there is, I don’t know what it is.

On top of that, add in the fact that I have a full time job, a family, and other responsibilities and the process goes even slower.

And on top of that we have had the holidays and all the work that comes with preparing for Christmas for four children, visiting family, and general merriment.  And on top of THAT add in recent sickness and sleep deprivation.  (Do you feel bad for me yet?)

See, this is why I have been very reluctant to give you an official release date. Because I know it always takes me more time than I envision, and I have a lot going on in my life. And as much as I love my readers, I love my family more and they come first.

So, now that you’ve all heard me whine about how hard it is, you still want to know what the release date is, right? As much as I wish I could, I am not quite ready to give it to you. As soon as I have the cover complete, it will be the last item that is out of my control, and then I will give you a date. I hope to have that sometime in the next two weeks.

In the meantime, I am hard at work on finishing up the editing for Bonds That Break. This book is much longer than the other two, and I believe you will think it has been worth the wait.  Madison kicks some serious butt!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What exactly IS going on with book 3?

1. Kelly says:

I feel completely sorry for you, so thanks for the update and Happy Holidays to you and your family. Good luck with the book, definitely looking forward to it!

2. SaraDeWitt says:

We’re excited!!!!

3. Jackie says:

I couldn’t even imagine how stressful that might be.. I hope all goes well:) I KNOW that it will be well worth the wait! Happy holidays!

4. Gillian says:

I know the feeling, we moved house in November and we are still not straight we had a friend and my son ferry the items from one house to the other but as for the packing and unpacking that was all down to me as my husband is disabled, we are still not straight! So you have my sympathy. I will wait in eager anticipation for the release.
    Perhaps you should consider giving up your job to concentrate on your writing. I have loved these books, I hadn’t read for a while but I now read a lot more thanks to you. I wish you a very happy New Year and thank you for the pleasure you have brought me and others

• Brant says:

Thanks, for the sympathy Gillian. You have mine as well. The process of moving stinks! I’m glad to hear you love the books and that you are reading more now. As an author that makes me unbelievably happy to hear!

• Gillian says:

The last books I got so enthralled in were James Herbert’s trilogy Rats, Lair & Domain. I used to be an avid reader and lost the love for a while. Thank you for giving it back to me. Happy New Year.

5. Jeff says:

No one likes to wait Brant, but I have to say your books are some of the best original reading I’ve done in years, and frankly if you said it would be another 5 years I would happily wait! Love the story and can’t wait to read more and maybe with some stroke of luck you can even have this turned into a movie in the future. As we all know, Hollywood seems to have forgotten what originality is and a great story like this is just what it needs.

• Brant says:

Jeff – Thanks for the kind words! I’m glad to hear you like the story. I do promise that you won’t have to wait for five years before the next book comes out. It would be awesome to get someone to option the books for a movie, but it would certainly take a stroke of luck for that to happen. And I hear you on the lack of originality in Hollywood these days…

6. Daire says:

Well, I can’t wait for the next book! But hey, take your time. I’m 16, I’ve moved about 5 maybe 6 times. Plus I have four siblings, so after watching my mom tackle all that single handedly, I get it. I love your stories and neither me nor my best friend can wait!

• Brant says:

Daire – I’m glad to hear you like the books! Thanks for understanding the other obligations that I have. But that being said, I am getting really close! I will make an announcement of the release date in the next week!