New Project and Music to Write To

It’s been a while since I last posted here. I have been working on a new project and trying to get a feel for the story.

I typically plot out my books in advance. I don’t feel comfortable moving forward until I have a big picture of what the main events will be and how the story will end.

I also have a hard time plotting out the main events and determining the story arc until I have written enough of the story to feel comfortable in the world and can really visualize it in my head.

That makes for a bit of an awkward situation, huh? Can’t write without an outline and can’t outline without having written part of the story. Well, what I typically have to do is come up with as much brain dump as I can. I spew everything into a single file with all the ideas I have thrown in there. Then I try to outline the first three chapter in pretty good detail – and then write those chapters.  Once I have done that I can then actually move forward with where I want the story to go.

I have done the brain dump and have written the first two chapters. Once I get the next chapter written, I will be ready to outline the rest of the book at a high level and then start writing. Once I have reached that point I can focus more on writing and less on world building and creation which is the slower and more difficult part for me.

At that point I may be looking for some readers who are interested in giving me feedback on a chapter by chapter basis as I write. I’ll post more about that when the time comes.

Music

When I am writing, I don’t like to have a lot of noise distractions. I can tune out anything non-verbal, but people talking or singing totally interferes with the language portions of my brain, which means I have a hard time writing.

I like listening to music when I write, but it has to not have lyrics. I have done classical, new age, and a variety of other options.

But for the Bonds that Break I listened almost exclusively to an artist named Lindsey Stirling. She is an ultra-talented violinist who performs high-tempo songs with a dub-step beat. It really is the perfect writing music for me. Uptempo enough that I don’t fall asleep, and no words (there are a few exceptions) to distract the language portion of my brain. Plus it drowns out other noises around me. A win-win all around.

If you haven’t heard her, you should take a look. She has a ton of videos on YouTube. This one is the first that I saw from her. It currently has 95 Million views…

And this one my inner nerd really loves.

I had the chance to take my daughter to her concert here in Portland the other day and we had a blast. It was definitely a great show!

This entry was posted in Books, Other Projects, Personal, Random Musings, Writing Tips. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to New Project and Music to Write To

1. Kelly says:

Wow, she’s really great! I’ve heard of her but never took the time to check out her videos. Thanks for posting this, I think I’ll listen to this when I write. Oh, and do you mean beta reading? I’ve done that before, so if you need someone I’d love to help out.

• Brant says:

Kelly – I’m glad to hear you liked her music! And yes, I am going to be looking for a group of beta readers who can give me feedback. I want to get a bit farther to be sure I know where this is going before I solicit more, but I will definitely be looking in the next few months, if not sooner. Thanks!

2. Gill says:

Fabulous music and a very talented lady, I will look out for her. It’s great you are doing another book. I would be interested in reading it for you and giving you feedback.
    Regards Gill

• Brant says:

Gill – That sounds great! I need to get a bit farther into it and make sure I know what I am doing and where I am going. Once I have enough that I feel I can make consistent progress, I will start asking for beta readers and getting feedback. Thanks for being willing to read!

3. Jena says:

Thank you for sharing this wonderful music. She is very talented. You might like to check out a street performer by the name of Bryson Andres. He is an amazing artist who uses an electric violin to loop the various layers of a song and additionally plays the melody over the top. No lyrics, so you may enjoy it.

Extremely excited to hear that you are working on another project! I can’t wait to discover more of your work.

• Brant says:

Jena – Thanks for the heads up on Bryson Andres! I checked out some of his stuff on Youtube. I’m going to have to download one of his albums and give it a try. You’re right, he is pretty amazing. I envy talented musicians. Too bad I completely sucked at everything musical – except for the recorder. I ROCKED the recorder in 5th grade. To this day I can still play Star Wars, much to my children’s embarrassment. 🙂

4. wolfspirit159 says:

Wow! Dub step, rock in’ Celtic overtones, absolutely incredible videos each with their own stories! As much as I would love the album, the videos add such a tremendous dimension to each of her beautiful creations. Thanks for sharing!

• Brant says:

I’m glad you liked it! I agree with you about the videos. They do add an additional dimension. I took my daughter to see her in concert in Portland this past summer. It was amazing. It was one of the most diverse crowds I had ever seen at a concert. There was everything from 80-year-old adults to elementary school kids there, all enjoying the show. If she comes back, I am definitely going again!